- Top Guitar Strings For Beginners Reviewed
- Best Acoustic Guitar Strings For Beginners
- Best Electric Guitar Strings For Beginners
- How Do You Change Acoustic Guitar Strings?
- How Do You Change Electric Guitar Strings?
Top Guitar Strings For Beginners Reviewed
Choosing the right guitar strings can change the way you play and enhance the music you create. With endless options on the market, however, it can be tricky to find the perfect strings. If you’re a beginner, in particular, choosing the best guitar strings can seem impossible.
Deciding whether you need strings for an acoustic or electric guitar might be easy, but there is lots more to consider. For example, you’ll need to decide what material you want your strings to be constructed from, what gauge strings you’re looking, which offer the best levels of comfort, and whether you want coated or uncoated strings. With advantages to each option, it’s essential to do your research if you’re going to find the best strings to enhance your playing style.
Fortunately, we’ve made it easy to find a great set of guitar strings. Whether you’re looking for the best acoustic guitar strings for beginners or the perfect set of electric guitar strings for a novice, our reviews make it easy to determine which ones are right for you.
We go over each set of strings in detail below, but for those in a hurry here are both the acoustic and electric strings in our buyers guide:
Best Acoustic Guitar Strings For Beginners
Many people just learning the guitar start on an inexpensive instrument. While that may make sense financially (no one wants to drop a lot on a new hobby until they are sure they will stick with it), the trade-off is inexpensive instruments tend to be harder to play, and also don’t sound as good as a quality guitar. One thing that can combat that is a good set of strings. It is amazing how much good strings can improve the sound of even the cheapest guitar. So to help you make the most of your guitar, here are our picks for the best acoustic guitar strings for beginners:
Delivering a bright, warm and well-balanced tone, D’Addario Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings are well-known in the music industry. Used by beginners and experienced players alike, they’re an ideal choice for new guitarists.
Having produced guitar strings for centuries, D’Addario is one of the best-known and reliable manufacturers. Their unique digital winding technology ensures seamless consistency, which is useful for newer players and learners. When you need to change your strings or replace a string, you can be sure it a D’Addario replacement will be in-keeping with your existing strings and style.
Made with a high-carbon steel core, the EJ16-3D strings are designed to be long-lasting. When you choose the D’Addario EJ16-3D strings, you’ll receive six strings of various gauges. These include: Plain Steel .012, .016, Phosphor Bronze Wound .024, .032, .042, .053. Known as light strings, these are particularly beneficial for beginners.
When you’re first learning the guitar, heavier strings can be a bit more uncomfortable to play. By option for the D’Addario EJ16-3D light strings, you can ensure you have a comfortable playing experience, while still benefiting from excellent intonation and sound. For beginners who may still be building up resilience to the strings, these light strings from D’Addario are a great choice.
As D’Addario uses carbon, steel, and phosphor bronze to manufacture the EJ16-3D strings, they’re corrosion-resistant and built to last. Many guitarists find that these strings last longer than many other brands, which is perfect for newer players who may not feel confident changing their strings on a regular basis.
Although the EJ16-3D strings aren’t coated, they still deliver a comfortable feel and a great sound. While you may prefer coated strings if you’re used to them or if your fingertips are particularly sensitive, the D’Addario EJ16-3D Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings are great guitar strings for beginners, as well as for experienced players and professionals.
- MOST POPULAR – Pursue your passion with D’Addario’s most popular acoustic guitar string set, the Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings. Since 1974, phosphor strings have been known for superb, long lasting tone and comfortable playability. They are the choice of professionals worldwide.
- INSPIRING PERFORMANCE – These light acoustic guitar strings help you achieve amazing performances, as they offer a long lasting, warm, bright and balanced acoustic tone with excellent intonation.
- CORROSION-RESISTANT – These strings feature a precision wound corrosion resistant phosphor bronze wire that is carefully drawn around a hexagonally shaped, high-carbon steel core. The result is consistent, long lasting tone.
- STRING GAUGES – The string gauges in this acoustic string set include: Plain Steel .012, .016, Phosphor Bronze Wound .024, .032, .042, .053.
- MADE IN THE USA – D’Addario leverages centuries of string-making experience and advanced computer-controlled winding technology to bring you the most durable, consistent and long-lasting guitar strings. Made in the USA for the highest quality and performance, only D’Addario strings are sealed inside and out.
Classed as light/medium strings, the Martin MSP4150 SP strings for acoustic guitars are beloved by players. For beginners, they offer a comfortable and playable feel, while still maintaining the slightly more substantial, thicker feel of a medium string. As most new guitarists will be familiar with medium stock strings, the Martin MSP4150 SP strings are an ideal transition.
As well as feeling great, these Phosphor Bronze strings produce a fantastic sound. Many guitarists have been impressed at the richness of the tone created with these strings, and they’re perfect for plucking or strumming. Again, beginners may find it easier to learn to pick with these strings, as their lightness makes it easier and more comfortable to do.
The string gauges run from 12.5, 16.5, 25.5, 33.5, 43.5 to 55, and each string features a plated acoustic bronze finish. Many players like the subtle aesthetic difference this gives, but its real benefit comes in the strength and sound it delivers.
Along with ultra-high-quality steel cores, the smooth plating ensures the Martin MSP4150 SP Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings are designed to last. According to the manufacturer, they can stand up to the demands of playing in a studio, on stage, or wherever maximum string life is needed. While this may be more than an average beginner needs, it certainly enables newer players to start off with a high-quality set of strings.
Of course, durable and long-lasting strings aren’t just advantageous for experienced players. When beginners are first learning how to play the guitar, having strings that aren’t prone to breaking is extremely useful. This, combined with the rich sound and tonal quality delivered by the Martin MSP4150 SP strings, may make them the ideal acoustic guitar strings for beginners. Indeed, anyone who wants to enjoy excellent quality sound, hardwearing strings, and maximum comfort should try the Martin MSP4150 SP Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings.
- Gauges: .0125 - .055
- Ultra-high quality steel core
- Core wires and plain strings plated with an acoustic bronze finish
Receiving overwhelming positive reviews from guitarists, the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings have a great range of benefits. Defined as light strings, they feature gauges of .012, .016, .024 .032, .042 and .053. As they’re designed to deliver everything from rich, full-bodied notes to high-end clarity, they’re perfect for players who want to play a wide range of music.
Elixir’s NANOWEB coating is designed to enhance the string lifespan, while delivering a realistic feel too. While their POLYWEB coating tends to provide a richer bass tone and a slightly slicker feel; the NANOWEB option is perfect for guitarists who want the benefits of a coated string while maintaining the feel of an uncoated, traditional string. In addition, the ultra-thin coating on NANOWEB strings means they give a clear, crisp, and high-quality sound.
As well as reducing ‘finger squeak’ when you’re playing, the NANOWEB coating on these Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings will help to prolong their lifespan and keep them sounding great. While many alternative strings begin to lose their tone after a certain amount of time, guitarists routinely report that the Elixir Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings last far longer with hardly any degradation in their sound quality.
Unlike many manufacturers, Elixir makes sure that even the plain steel strings are protected from rust and corrosion. In addition to using anti-corrosion protection between wrap wire windings, they feature Anti-Rust Plating on plain steel strings too. This maintains the tone life of every string and ensures that you get the maximum lifespan from the entire set and not just the wrap wire strings.
Elixir Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings receive a lot of rave reviews, many of which are from experienced and professional guitarists. While some of the benefits of these strings may not be recognized by the average beginner at first, they are the obvious choice if you want to start off with one of the best quality acoustic string sets on the market.
- Acoustic guitar strings constructed with phosphor bronze wrap wire
- Played for a dynamic balance of rich, full-bodied tone and sparkling high-end clarity
- Ultra-thin NANOWEB Coating provides a traditionally textured, “uncoated” feel
- Our patented coating technology protects against common corrosion, extending tone life longer than any other brand’s coated or uncoated strings (Elixir Strings player survey)
- Light gauge: .012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053
Best Electric Guitar Strings For Beginners
We understand that learning to play the electric guitar can be challenging. But one thing that makes a difference in how quickly you learn is the quality of your strings. Good strings sound better, and are actually easier to fret and play. So to help you get the best sounds out of your new electric axe, here are our picks for the best electric guitar strings for beginners:
Used by an array of professional guitarists, Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound strings are well-known for their quality. With a tin-plated high carbon still core and nickel plating, the Regular Slinky strings are designed to deliver a balanced tone that facilitates all playing styles. This makes them one of the best electric guitar strings for beginners. When you’re a new guitarist, and you’re learning how to perform various different types of music, you’ll want strings which can cope with routine changes in genre. The Ernie Ball Regular Slinky electric guitar strings do just that.
Furthermore, these strings will deliver a great sound on almost any electric guitar. If beginners are unsure whether strings will fit their guitar model, choosing a set that can be used on virtually any instrument can be advantageous.
To ensure durability and lifespan, plain strings feature brass wire ball ends and lock twists. This prevents slippage and keeps the strings in place while in use. For beginners who may not be used to making regular string adjustment, this helps to minimize confusion and allows you to focus on playing, rather than preparing your guitar.
A set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings features gauges of .010, .013, .017, .026, .036 and .046 . Perfect for the vast majority of guitarists, the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky string set isn’t just an ideal choice for beginners. They are regularly used by some of the best-known guitarists in the industry, which highlights their quality and longevity.
- 3 individual sets enclosed in a single, flow-wrap package
- Recipes and Popular gauges created by industry icon Ernie Ball
- Played By Legends around the world including Slash, Jimmy Page, Metallica, Eric Clapton, and more. . .
- Element Shield Packaging Prolongs string life and keeps strings as fresh as the day they were made
- Made in California, U. S. A. Featuring the finest and freshest materials.
As D’Addario’s best selling electric guitar strings, the EXL110-3D XL strings are extremely popular. Known for their bright and distinctive sound, they are favored by many high-profile guitarists. In addition to this, they are designed for use with almost any guitar and are perfect for playing any style of music.
This makes it easy for beginners to find a suitable set of high-quality strings, without worrying whether they’ll fit their guitar or produce the right type of sound for their playing style. Designated as regular light strings, the plain strings within the EXL110-3D XL set feature gauges .010, .013, .017, while the remaining nickel wound strings are gauges .026, .036, .046.
Their high carbon steel core and nickel plating ensure a long lifespan, although some guitarists may want to maximize the lifespan of their strings by option for a coated set. However, most players find that even D’Addario’s non-coated strings offer an enhanced lifespan when compared to other manufacturers.
Round wound, uncoated, and using a carefully drawn hexagonally shaped core, the D’Addario EXL110-3D XL Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings are a perfect choice for beginners, intermediates and more experienced guitarists.
Most guitarists who use the EXL110-3D XL strings report that they stand up to frequent use better than other options available. Indeed, many players choose EXL110-3D XL strings precisely because of how long they will deliver a great sound for.
If you regularly play outdoors or in varying elements, you may prefer a coated set of strings as these can limit the amount of corrosion which occurs. However, even when used in these environments, a set of EXL110-3D XL strings can be expected to stand up well. When used indoors, you should find that the D’Addario Nickel Wound Strings will last for a long time and produce a great tone.
- Bestselling set – pursue your passion with D 'Addario bestselling electric Guitar set, XL nickel wound electric Guitar strings. Xl's deliver long lasting, distinctive bright tone and excellent intonation and the corrosion resistant packaging of the 3-pack keeps your extra string sets fresh
- For the ultimate performance – D 'Addario nickel wound strings are precisely wound with nickel-plated steel onto a hexagonally shaped, high carbon steel core for strings with bright tone, perfect intonation, stellar magnetic output, long life and reduced premature fret wear
- Versatile – These are the ideal electric Guitar strings for the widest variety of guitars and musical styles. Xl’s are the choice of countless professionals across many genres around the world
- String gauges – the gauges in this electric String set include: plain steel . 010, . 013, . 017, nickel wound . 026, . 036, . 046
- Made in the USA – D 'Addario leverages centuries of string-making experience and advanced computer-controlled winding technology to bring you the most durable, consistent and long-lasting guitar strings. Made in the USA for the highest quality and performance, Only D 'Addario strings are sealed inside and out
One of the best-known guitar manufacturers in the world, Gibson can be expected to produce high-quality string sets. Indeed, Brite Wires are often considered to be the perfect electric guitar strings for beginners and more advanced players.
Delivering a crisp sound, Gibson Brite Wires Electric Guitar Strings can be used on almost any guitar and for any playing style. Whether you solely play one genre or you’re learning how to play various different types of music, Brite Wires should provide the sound and feel you’re looking for.
All strings produced by Gibson feature a unique cover to core ratio. This delivers a great tone and feel, and helps you differentiate Gibson strings from any other manufacturers. When it comes to the strings themselves, you’ll receive gauges of .010, .013, 0.17, 0.26, .036, and .046 when you purchase a Brite Wires Electric Guitar string set.
Nickel plating adds a certain level of warmth to the tone produced by Brite Wires, but they are designed to enhance crispness when you play. In addition, the nickel plating can help to increase the lifespan of your strings and ensure that they stand the test of time. Gibson Brite Wires feature a Swedish steel hex core, which is designed to offer easy and fast tuning.
Furthermore, Gibson has designed Brite Wires to ensure they hold their tune for longer. This is perfect for beginners and new guitarists who may not want to have to retune their instruments regularly.
Gibson uses Brite Wires strings on every solid-body electric guitar in their Nashville facility, which highlights just how good they are. For guitarists who want a versatile set of strings, high quality, and exceptional sound, Gibson Brite Wires are not to be missed.
- Bright crisp attack
- Nickel plating for long life and added warmth
- Swedish steel hex core
- Gauges 10-13-17-26-36-46
- Brite Wires are from Gibson are specially formulated to give your electric guitar a crisp attack, with the nickel plating adding warmth to the overall tone
How Do You Change Acoustic Guitar Strings?
Stringing an acoustic guitar is basic maintenance that every guitar player needs to learn. Though the task can seem daunting at first, it really isn’t that difficult. Here is a great YouTube video that walks you through the process:
How Do You Change Electric Guitar Strings?
The process for changing the strings on an electric guitar differs depending on the style of guitar you have. Here is a good video from Fender that demonstrates how to do it: