The Top 5 Kalimbas Reviewed
A kalimba, or thumb piano, is a lesser-known percussion instrument which produces layers of rhythmic tones and soothing, relaxing sounds. Played on its own or used to add flavor to compositions, the kalimba is an essential instrument for music lovers, creators, and producers.
Constructed from solid Acacia Koa wood and Carbon Steel, the Moozica Kalimba is as much a piece of art as it is an instrument. Intricate finishing and pattern-work ensure the Moozica Kalimba looks fantastic, as well as delivering exceptional sound quality.
The 17-key kalimba features a built-in pickup, along with a 6.35mm connection interface. With the ability to hook up to an amp or recording equipment, the Moozica Kalimba is perfect for use on stage or in the studio, as well as for playing at home or when you’re out and about.
With universally great reviews, amateur players and experienced professionals have been impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of the Moozica Kalimba, as well as the rich tones it produces. Exceptional functionality ensures you can rely on the Moozica Kalimba to deliver great tonal quality.
Whilst the Moozica Kalimba is certainly a professional-grade instrument, it’s also a great option for beginners. With clearly marked keys, you can begin your kalimba career on this Moozica model and keep playing until you’re on a par with the best professionals out there!
Available at around $60, you will be able to find cheaper models on the market. However, existing owners routinely state that the Moozica Kalimba feels more expensive than it is. Furthermore, you’ll get a whole host of accessories with the Moozica Kalimba, which makes it even better value.
Shipped with a waterproof PU leather case, audio cable, two change-over plugs, music scale stickers, cloth bag, tune hammer, cloth wiper, music score, and user manual, you’ll have everything you need straight out of the box. What’s more, the Moozica Kalimba is shipped pre-tuned, so you won’t have to tune it yourself before you start playing.
Although the Moozica Kalimba might be pricier than some other kalimbas out there, you’ll be hard-pressed to find the same level of quality at such a low price. Perfect for beginners and experienced players alike, the Moozica Kalimba is well-worth the price tag.
- Build-in Hi-Fi Pickup: 17 key kalimba with built-in pickup and 6.35mm interface for connecting amplifier, perfect for stage performance.
- Beautiful Sound, Different Kind Of Melody: This musical instrument is Dedicated in Sound Quality - Bright, Perfect Echo and Delay, which gives off a sweet, soothing and melodic sound.
- High Quality Material: Use Selected Solid Acacia Koa Wood to Make Resonance Box and Carbon Steel to Make the keys, ensuring Perfect Sound Effect. Beautiful Natural Koa Wood Pattern and Hand-rest Curve Design, Delicate In Details and Finishing.
- Perfect Gift for music lovers, piano, guitar and ukulele players. Just Grab your kalimba and start your show anytime, anywhere.
- Package Include: Moozica K17K(EQ) + Professional Kalimba Case + Kalimba Bag + Audio Cable + Change-over Plug + Tune Hummer + Learning Instruction + Music Scale Stickers. 60 Days Unconditional Money Back Guarantee, gives you a reassuring shopping experience.
This handmade kalimba is made from rich mahogany and ore steel bars, which ensures a top-quality sound. The GECKO Kalimba may be the most popular kalimba in the US, and its exceptional construction could be the reason why. Double-screw keys are used to increase the stability of the GECKO Kalimba, and the solid mahogany gives the instrument an almost indestructible feel.
Delivering a rich and bright tone, the GECKO Kalimba also features well-placed expression holes, so adding special effects to your music is easy. Whilst some owners have had to return the GECKO Kalimba due to minor rust issues, this doesn’t negate the overall impressive reviews the product has accumulated. With the vast majority of users highly impressed with the quality, appearance, and build of the GECKO Kalimba, it’s an instrument which can be used in a professional environment or at home by beginners.
Fortunately, the GECKO Kalimba arrives pre-tuned, so you’re able to start playing almost immediately. You’ll also get a raft of extras when you buy the GECKO Kalimba, so you can enhance your skills and start learning with no experience at all. Shipped with a tune hammer, learning book, instruction book, kalimba box, cleaning cloth, tune stickers and cloth bag, you’ll have everything you need to learn how to get the most out of your new instrument and be able to store your kalimba safely. With a handy QR code enclosed, you can even link straight to instructional videos to help you get started.
Available for around $42, the GECKO Kalimba offers great value for money. Despite being a pro-grade instrument, the budget-friendly price tag doesn’t deter beginners and learners, which means that GECKO Kalimba is a great choice for everyone.
- High-quality Materials: Handmade with high-quality mahogany and ore steel bars, giving you a better sense of hearing, vision and touch.
- Wonderful Sound: Without any music basis, you just move your thumb to get the wonderful music that delights your day long.Applicable: The best instrument for performance, recording, family, outdoor, school, party, and relaxation.
- Study Guidance: With our professionally produced kalimba learning booklet, it introduces the use and performance method of kalimba in detail.QR Code to watch our video to learn as we guide you and communicate with you
- Security Protection: EVA kalimba boxes can effectively protect kalimba regardless of performance or collection, preventing moisture, oxidation, scratches, falling, waterproofing and very easy to carry.
- After-sales Service: 365 days warranty, 45 days unconditional return guarantee. If you have any questions or demanding advice on musical instruments, please feel free to contact us.
3. JDR Kalimba
Featuring manganese steel keys, the JDR Kalimba is designed to offer enhanced flexibility and toughness. Easy on the fingers and delivering a clear, crisp sound, the JDR Kalimba has impressed almost everyone who has tried it. Unlike some other kalimbas on the market, the JDR Kalimba has embossed notes and letters, so you won’t find that they wear off over time.
The sound box is handmade from solid mahogany, with variable tree growth giving each instrument a unique grain and shading. At just $35, the JDR Kalimba retails at a great price, particularly given its high quality and exceptional performance. With faultless user reviews, it’s clear that the JDR Kalimba is a leader in the field.
As well as receiving a 17 key kalimba, pre-tuned and ready to use, you’ll also benefit from a cleaning cloth, waterproof case, music book, tuning hammer, number stickers, red and green stickers, and dust bag. Whilst you won’t be able to hook the JDR Kalimba up to an amp, it’s perfect for acoustic use. Whether you’re just starting out or are an experienced kalimba player, the JDR Kalimba is sure to impress.
- Solid Mahogany - In contrast to the low in price plywood，The JDR kalimb sound box is handcrafted made of 100% solid mahogany, made the sound more clean and warm
- Adamant Ore Metal Tines - JDR Manganese Steel Keys offer better toughness and flexibility than the regular 17 kalimba keys, for crisp sound and better finger touch
- Easy Operation - Even without music foundation or operational experience, you can easily get great music based on the music book we provide and the musical notes on the keys
- Security Protection and Portable - Specially EVA waterproof kalimba case efficacious to protect kalimba, easy carrying and storage. And preventing moisture, oxidation, scratches, falling
- JDR Lifetime Warranty Policy - Package include Kalimba,EVA Case and Cloth Bag, Music Score; Tuning Hammer; Red and Green Stickers, Letter and Number Stickers. For any possible defective products 90 days no reason to refund, 180 days replacement service, lifetime warranty
Built with solid Okoume, the UNOKKI Kalimba can vary from a rich chocolate brown to a lighter reddish color, depending on the variations in the wood. With each instrument having a slight difference in texture and color, the best kalimbas offer individuality and distinctiveness.
Tine metal is used to construct the keys on the UNOKKI Kalimba, and each key is engraved with notes. Ideal for beginners, playing a kalimba with embossed or engraved keys can be easier and more convenient than relying solely on stickers to identify each note.
If you’re new to the kalimba, you may be unfamiliar with exactly how the instrument is crafted. The keys on the UNOKKI Kalimba are slightly bent down to offer increased protection to your thumbs and fingers while you’re playing. This ensures complete comfort, regardless of how many hours you spend producing music!
Every UNOKKI Kalimba is tuned and tested before it’s shipped, so you can start playing right away. However, the instrument is shipped with a tuning hammer and tuning instructions, so you should find it easy to re-tune your kalimba as and when you need to.
Also enclosed is a handy silicone finger protector. Although these are widely available, not all kalimbas are shipped with them, so this is a big advantage when you buy the UNOKKI Kalimba. Whether you’re a beginner who is still getting used to the keys or a more experienced player who is using the kalimba for hours at a time, wearing a finger protector can help to minimize discomfort and ensures you can play without harming your fingers.
In addition to this, the UNOKKI Kalimba comes with a polishing cloth to keep your kalimba in tip-top condition, as well as instructions, red and green stickers, and a cloth bag. Although UNOKKI includes a much-appreciated finger protector, they don’t ship the kalimba with a waterproof case. Given that the instrument can be damaged by water, moisture, and humidity, a hard, waterproof case may be needed if you want to prolong the lifespan of your instrument.
At just $25, however, you’ll have plenty left in your budget to grab a waterproof case too. Offering exceptional quality at a stunningly low price, the UNOKKI Kalimba is could be the best kalimba on the market.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS. Handmade with high-quality mahogany and ore steel bars, nice looking professional seventeen key kalimba instrument.
- NICE SOUND & CURVED NOTES. All the keys / tines sound very pretty. The keys are engraved with letters and notes, more convenient than other stickers notes thumb piano.
- EASY TO PLAY & WIDE USE. English manual book, songbook help you tune and play this finger piano easily. Best gift for kids, adults, beginners, professionals and bands.
- INTERNATIONAL STANDARD C TUNE & PORTABLE. 17 keys / notes: 1(D), 2(B), 3(G), 4(E), 5(C5), 6(A), 7(F), 8(D), 9(C4), 10(E), 11(G), 12(B), 13(D), 14(F), 15(A), 16(C6), 17(E). Small size pocket piano , portable for performance, recording, family, outdoor, school, party, and relaxation.
- GUARANTEE & WARRANTY. For any reason you are not 100% happy with your African thumb piano, just return it for a full refund, no question asked. LIFETIME warranty at no additional cost. We value our customers and want you to enjoy a pleasant shopping experience!
Although the Apelila Kalimba is made from solid mahogany wood, it’s available in a range of colors and designs. With exquisite etchings and details, this Apelila model combines the rich sounds offered by the solid mahogany construction with charming colors and designs. Claiming to be, ‘as smooth as spring water’, the Apelila Kalimba certainly lives up to the hype. Delivering a rich, full sound, it will delight the most experienced musicians and impress complete beginners alike.
With carbon steel keys, you can be sure the Apelila Kalimba will stand the test of time. Engraved with letters, it’s perfect for beginners, who might need a little extra guidance when they’re starting out. Similarly, the accompanying user manual means you’ll be able to take the Apelila Kalimba out of the box and start making music immediately, even if you’re a complete novice.
Along with the kalimba and user manual, Apelila treats you to a tuning hammer, stickers, velvet bag, and two finger picks. Again, you won’t get a waterproof case with this model, so you may want to invest in one of these separately. Any instrument constructed from wood can be damaged by the elements, so a hardier case might be needed.
However, the Apelila Kalimba is one of the lowest-priced kalimbas on the market and it certainly performs better than you’d expect. Retailing at around $22, you can’t fail to be impressed by the quality and craftmanship on show. Ideal for beginners, as well as more experienced players, the Apelila Kalimba is a great choice if you want to bag yourself a quality instrument without blowing your budget.
- Solid Mahogany Wood - Made of high grade single board mahogany, mahogany is very suitable for musical instrument material, the tone is warm and full.
- International standard C tune - 1(D), 2(B), 3(G), 4(E), 5(C5), 6(A), 7(F), 8(D), 9(C4), 10(E), 11(G), 12(B), 13(D), 14(F), 15(A), 16(C6), 17(E),
- The note on the keyboard is carved on the keys, so it is not easy to sharpen it. *Perfect sound hole design, elegant as a music box, smooth as spring water.
- Very little size and come with the carry bag so that you can carry it every where you go, use it to travel the leisure time.
- Easy to use, high security, compact structure, easy to carry, clear and sweet.
What Does A Kalimba Sound Like?
If you have never heard a kalimba before, this video will give you a good idea of how it sounds: