The Top 5 Beginner Trumpets Reviewed
When considering whether to take up a new instrument, the most critical factor is whether it actually works. A faulty product will destroy your motivation and crush your desire to play. Nobody wants to practice for hours creating music which sounds awful. It’s a soul-destroying experience.
The problem with beginner trumpets is that they can let you down sometimes. Yes, they’re cheap, but the sound you get out of them can be a little disappointing.
The solution is to spend just enough money to ensure that you get the sound you want without blowing through your budget. Doing that is easier said than done. Today’s trumpet market is rife with companies targeting entry-level musicians just starting on their musical journey, but there’s a vast range of quality. Some manufacturers have nailed the formula while others come up short. In this review, we’re going to take a look at the five best trumpets for beginners on the market today.
Best Trumpets For Beginners
Cecilio knows that the entry-level trumpet market is a tough one to conquer. The problem is that parents, students and random beginners can go to a rental shop, hire an expensive trumpet for a month, see if they like it, and then upgrade if they do. It’s not easy to get into the cheap instrument market when there are other compelling options out there.
Cecilio’s approach, therefore, is innovative: create a mid-range product that comes in at an entry-level price point. By doing this, the firm gives buyers an excellent reason to buy outright instead of rent. Beginners get a trumpet that performs like a much more expensive variety, but without the hefty upfront financial outlay.
The construction of the Mendini is copper covered with stylish gold lacquer. Cecilio says that it tests every trumpet emerging from its factory to ensure correct tuning and sound reproduction and offers a one-year warranty.
The warranty is important. School-age beginners need robust instruments that can withstand daily packing and unpacking and the general rough and tumble of the school environment. It’s not always easy to get repairs on an inexpensive instrument like the Medini, so having the option to send it back to the manufacturer is a smart move. It gives owners insurance against mechanical failures.
What about sound quality? Unlike stringed instruments, it easier to achieve a good sound quality on inexpensive brass instruments. The Mendini by Cecilio doesn’t disappoint on this front. The copper lead pipe delivers smooth airflow, generating beautiful notes up and down the scale. The reliable build quality adds to the sense of versatility, giving you the confidence to attack music outside of your comfort zone. Is it a trumpet for beginners? Absolutely.
- Bb (B flat) trumpet, Beautiful and durable brass body, Phosphorus copper used on lead (not the metal lead, but leading up to...) mouth pipe, smooth action valves, & comfortable buttons
- Medium-large .460 inch bore with 5 inch bell, 1st valve slide thumb saddle, adjustable 3rd slide lock
- Includes: Pro-Deluxe durable plush lined nylon covered hard case with backpack straps and zipper pocket, Silver plated 7C mouthpiece, Soft polishing cloth, a pair of white gloves, and a bottle of valve oil
- Each instrument is tested at Cecilio's factory overseas and again in their local warehouse in Southern California. It comes with a 1-year warranty against manufacturer's defects and serviced locally. Contact us by message or call our support team.
- Customer is our number 1 priority. If you are not completely satisfied with the instrument, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service, and we will provide the best solution within 1 business day.
Eastar understands the big marketing issue it faces: how to convince people that a cheap trumpet can be good. The company, therefore, spends a significant amount of time talking about its “high-quality air valves” and stable welding joints. It hopes that you’ll accept the proposition it is possible to buy an inexpensive, durable instrument.
In many ways, Eastar has been successful. The build quality of its gold trumpet is high, and you will probably be playing it for many years to come. It’s full brass, not like many of the cheaper plastic-lined horns you can find on the market today. And the pistons are surprisingly smooth and easy to press, having the feel of a much more premium instrument. The tuning scale is remarkably easy to move up and down, and you never get the sense that you could accidentally make the instrument sound of out tune.
It’s beginner-friendly too. The trumpet comes with a full set of accessories out of the box, including the all-important brushes and wiping cloth. Eastar has done everything it can to make owning a trumpet as simple as possible for keen beginners.
Are there any problems with the Eastar? Unfortunately, yes. The first issue is the lack of adjustability of the mouthpiece. If your buying this for a child, then the 7C option that comes out of the box might be a good fit, but if you’re an adult, then 5C could be better.
Eastar targets its gold trumpet at beginners but doesn’t include much instruction on how to use and play it. For instance, you get cleaning cloths included in the package – a good thing – but no advice on how to use them effectively. Cleaning your trumpet is essential.
So what’s the bottom line here? The chances are that if you buy the Eastar, you’ll be highly satisfied with your purchase. It’s clear that Eastar markets its trumpet towards parents of musical children, but that shouldn’t stop you if you’re an adult. The only issue you may find is a lack of mouthpiece compatibility.
- Amazing Timbre--ETR-380 is a very outstanding Bb trumpet,its sound is excellent and bright, penetrating, abundant and powerful, excellent vibration.
- Beautiful Appearance--Beautiful and uniform golden lacquer, dazzling and shiny, clean and transparent color with superb reflection.
- Design and Crafts--11.65mm/0.459inch bore and 123mm /4.84 inch bell,1st valve slide thumb saddle, 3rd valve slide with adjustable throw ring. Button : comfortable white faux mother of pearl inlaid buttons. Internal pipe cleaning: All internal pipes are cleaned by ultrasonic waves for 3 times and are oiled for maintenance ( please keep the internal pipes covered with valve oil all the time ).
- Valve-- Eastar's patent-designed valve system, Stuck would not occur in the premise of good maintenance. Valves will accurately link each piping. No air leakage and no difficulty in playing. 【NOTE : Please Take The Valves Out and Put Valve Oil On Them Before Playing It For The First Time. Pay Attention to Cleaning and Maintenance.】
- Package Contains --Eastar ETR-380 Golden Lacquer Trumpet, White Gloves, Cloth, Valve Oil, Trumpet Cleaning Kit, 7 C Mouthpiece, Hard Case.12-Month Product Warranty.
Trumpet tuning is not a beginner-friendly process. It’s something you need a little experience with before you even begin to feel confident. Glory, therefore, wants to do away with it entirely for beginners, promising that if they buy its entry-level trumpet, they can forget all about tuning. The company says that each horn is finely tuned as it leaves the factory, allowing customers to pick it up and get on with playing.
The value you get from the Glory Bb depends considerably on how you treat it. If you’re an adult and plan on using this trumpet at home, then you’re unlikely to experience any serious, game-breaking issues. But for kids regularly transporting the Bb to and from school, you could find yourself experiencing problems. The trumpet isn’t made with the rough and tumble of the school environment in mind. The build quality isn’t as high as more costly options. The welding can fail under heavy use, and you may find that you have problems with the vales.
So who is this trumpet for? Although the obvious market is children, the horn is better suited for adult beginners who want to see if playing the trumpet is for them. The build quality is okay for the price point, but you may experience disappointment if you buy this product for use in the school band.
- Solid Brass Bb Trumpet
- Includes silver plated 7C mouthpiece
- Includes: Light weight hard case, bottle of valve oil, soft polishing cloth and a pair of white gloves
- Approved and recommended by teachers
- Whether you want to buy a trumpet for yourself or for your friends or others, this trumpet is a product of choice as a result of its high quality and cost effective price
When Jean Paul was putting together the TR-330, the company had a clear idea of the market it wanted to target. The TR-330 is meant to be an affordable instrument that parents can buy for their children in student bands.
What’s interesting about the TR-330 is how Jean Paul has resisted the temptation to go as cheap as possible. Its message to parents is that if they want something that serves as a student horn, then they need to be prepared to pay for it. Any less and the trumpet won’t do the job.
The TR-330 is a solid trumpet. The finish is excellent and the valves smooth, making playing a breeze for beginners. It comes with a selection of mouthpieces designed to fit young people with thin lips. The build quality also lends itself to quality sound output too. The sound that the Jean Paul generates is similar to that you would expect from a much more expensive horn.
It’s not at all clear where Jean Paul cut costs with the TR-330. The whole product is pretty solid, from the build to the sound quality to the weight. The welds are not prone to breakage, and the mechanical elements of the instrument feel firm and robust, even after heavy use. The TR-330 is certainly a trumpet to consider.
- The Jean Paul Trumpet is in key of Bb
- Comes with robust contoured carrying case for ease of use transportation
- Beautiful Yellow brass body construction with Gold Lacquer finish
- Included Accessories: Carrying Case, Valve Oil, Gloves, Cleaning Cloth, and Mouthpiece
Kaizer has been on a bit of a product development spree in recent years, churning out new line after new line of brass instruments. The TRP-3000 is the latest in a long series of product launches the company will help cement its position in the entry-level musical instrument market.
Kaizer markets the TRP-3000 as an intermediate product. When you pick it up, you can certainly feel the quality. The valve buttons are robust, and the entire unit is made of brass except for the lead pipe which is rose brass. The Kaizer also comes with a cupronickel tuning slide if the horn doesn’t produce the right sound out of the box.
The most impressive thing about the TRP-3000 is the 45-day trial period and lifetime warranty. You’re free to test the product to see if it suits your playing style before committing to purchase – not many trumpet vendors let you do that. All of the valves are in line and at the correct height. The tubing is straight and rigid and then finish surprisingly clean and smooth.
The sound is also fabulous if a little louder than other competitors at a similar price point. You can project notes into the room with just the right level of resistance, helping beginner students get used to the mouth-feel of playing the trumpet.
Granted, it’s not the same as a high-end horn, but you wouldn’t expect that from an entry-level device. This is a solid trumpet for any student who plays in a school band.
- Heavy valve button, heavy top and bottom caps; 0.464 large bore; 5" bell; 1st valve slide thumb hook and adjustable 3rd valve slide ring
- Solid yellow brass body; rose brass lead-pipe; cupronickel tuning slides;
- Includes molded case, polishing cloth, case shoulder strap, standard 7C mouthpiece
- 45-day free trial: play it, test it for 45 days. If you don't like it, send it back and receive a full refund.
- Lifetime no-hassle warranty: if the instrument ever fails due to manufacturing defects, for as long as you own the instrument and have proof of purchase, we'll provide you with parts for free.
Beginner Trumpet Lesson
Here is good video on YouTube that teaches beginners how to play the trumpet: